Contributing to Worthwhile Causes
I was with the union for a number of years, and then I chose to open my own office. Since then, I have actively worked to unite the people of Kentucky — no matter their race, religion, political standing, or whatever else may divide us. I hope doing my part makes the places I work- Louisville, the state of Kentucky, and sometimes across the U.S.- a better place.
I spend a good deal of time fighting for social justice, especially racial justice. I’m a consultant, organizer, speaker, strategist, and legal representative. For bigger projects, I team up with business, elected officials, nonprofits, churches, and other community leaders and influencers. We do more together than we can apart. For more about me, please go here.
Lately, I’m focused on strategy and consulting. I represent schools, churches, denominations, networks, advocacy organizations, and coalitions of all kinds.
I still do some work in employment law, with select individuals, but mostly with groups of workers. Sometimes these turn into class action lawsuits. I find that cases that involve groups of people are about systemic or policy problems. Tackling these in court now helps prevent the same injustice from affecting others in the future.
- Supreme Court of Kentucky
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Juris Doctor, University of Louisville School of Law, 1988
- Master of Divinity, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1985
- Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, Georgetown College, 1981
Professional Associations & Membership
- Leadership Louisville Bingham Fellows, 2018
- American Constitution Society, 2011-present
- Deacon, Ridgewood Baptist Church, 2008-present
- Legal counsel, Jobs with Justice, Washington, DC, 1997-present
- Kentucky Justice Association, 2004-2012
- Governor’s Task Force on Unemployment Insurance, Frankfort, Kentucky, 2009-2010
- Chair, Change To Win Kentucky, 2009
- Trustee, Baptist Seminary of Kentucky, 2003-2009
- Legal counsel (volunteer), Interfaith Worker Justice, Chicago, Illinois, 1997-2008
- Founder, Kentucky Jobs with Justice, 1993-2005
- Leadership Louisville, 2002-2003
Click Here to Read About:
Q&A with Chris Sanders on Unions, Social Justice and Policing